Friday, September 24, 2010

Summer 2010

This summer, I was fortunate enough to land a job as the Field Museum's model builder. I worked with the Exhibition Design team (Hi Alvaro, Robert, Eric, Mark, Cindy, Heejung!), creating a 1/4" scale model of the Abbott Conservation hall. Everyone worked really hard in designing an exhibit showcasing sustainability and environmental preservation. It opens in Fall 2011, and unfortunately none of my super-tiny, eye-impairing work can hit the internet until then. But, I really can't wait for the opening. It's not like any of their current or past exhibitions... which is exciting from a design perspective. I learned a great deal, especially since my supervisor let me observe the museum's production process for Chinese Rubbings. I  worked closely with artist and main production supervisor Mike Paha and conservationist Debbie Lynn. A very successful, and different, experience. Lots of dark corridors and walls of poisonous woods and taxidermied animals and wax plants. Science, a beautiful thing to support! So please, visit. And I will admit, I need a break from making  1/8" x3/8" display cases and supergluing my fingers together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment